Garlic Festival – Opening Day
Garlic, garlic and more garlic! You will never find more garlic in one place than as you will at the Carp Farmers’ Market.
Join us for the 20th Annual Garlic Festival opening Day.
You will find our vendors selling over 30 different varieties of fresh garlic, garlic products such as garlic spreads, garlic dressings, garlic baskets, pottery garlic holders and much much more!
We will have garlic events, demonstrations and information sessions covering anything imaginable to do with garlic by some of our amazing vendors and celebrity chefs.
Also check out the event schedule on Sunday.
- 8:00 -
- Welcome to our 20th Garlic Festival
- 9:30 - 12:30
- The Best Garlic Contest
- Garlic growers vie for the red ribbon in 5 categories. View the entries at Events Tent until 12:30
- 10:00 -
- Best Garlic Contest Awards
- 1) Single Bulb Hardneck Garlic, 2) Single Bulb Softneck Garlic, 3) String Braid, 4) Pigtail or French Braid, 5) Decorated Braid
- 10:00 -
- Garlic Tasting
- This event continues through to Sunday afternoon. Taste and compare different varieties of garlic from our garlic vendors.
- 10:00 -
- Garlic Shots
- Get your fix of raw garlic for the day - while supplies last.
- 10:30 -
- Garlic Braiding Workshop
- Catherine Cheff from Cheff Fields Farm (Alpacas, Garlic & Honey). Catherine has been growing and braiding award winning garlic for over 20 years. Catherine will share her braiding techniques with both hardneck and softneck garlic to help you store your garlic over the winter.
- 11:00 -
- Education Presentation: Health Benefits of Garlic
- Katherine Willow (Naturopathic Doctor, Carp EcoWellness)
- 12:00 -
- Education Presentation: Growing Great Garlic
- Award-winning Garlic Grower John Moore. All about growing great garlic. Questions welcome.
- 1:00 -
- Jim Craig Memorial Award
- Awarded for the Best Booth. Jim was our Market Manager for many years, and many credit him for shaping the Carp Farmers’ Market into the great market it is today. Every year all of the Garlic Festival booths are judged for such things as overall appearance, creative use of garlic in displays, incorporating elements of education, and more. As you visit from booth to booth today, you can imagine the difficulty the judges have. The winner will be presented with a Golden Garlic Pendant, designed and made by CFM vendors Eric and Christine Brackenbury, and will have their names engraved on the ‘Best Booth’ plaque.
- 1:30 -
- Celebrity Chef Demo
- Tristan Hertzog (from the Ground Up Culinary)
- 3:00 -
- Festival closes for the day
- See you on Sunday.